Beautiful, Polish Frizzle Hen?

Thanks, she has just started walking up to the Silkies her age and giving them a peck.
Do Hens act that way too?

Maybe the Silkies are Roosters? they have big combs.

I also have week old Silkies in the same brooder and don't want them picked on.

All chickens peck on each other. That's how they maintain the pecking order. Usually they stop pecking each other very much as long as there aren't any new birds or other complications. 3-4 weeks seems to be when the start to figure out the pecking order. They tend to fight more at that age, but usually grow out of it (a little).

Usually they don't, but I'd watch the older ones with the little ones, especially if there is a big size difference. After a while the little ones will learn to leave the older ones alone and vice versa. Make sure there is plenty of room for the little ones to run away. If it gets too bad, you might need a separate brooder ready. I've had chicks with larger age gaps together and they ended up fine (that may have been pure luck though). Depending on how warm it is where you are, the chicks can go into a coop as soon as they're fully feathered, but if you separate them, you will have to reintegrate them.

Thank you, I have a separater as I have more little ones coming tomorrow.

Why are you using a heat lamp with the warmer? Defetes the whole purpose. And they old enough to not need supplemental heat. They are feathered in enough to go to the coop.

Last edited:
Your right some are older, but not fully feathered, they are only 4 weeks. They don't need the heat anymore and they jump on top of the brooder at the moment for fun. But we have week old silkies who do need the heat and more babies coming today, who will also need the heat. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom