Beautiful Silkie chick-curled toes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by littlestars17, Mar 29, 2011.

1. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Picked up my new chicks yesterday and one of the silkies has some minor issues- would like to help her however I can- Her Left foot has several curled under toes(the longest and the other two on the outside of her foot_ She also has large amounts of egg membrane and shell stuck to her back and wings- Both of her wings are hanging lower but I think its just for balance sake. I have been giving her poly vi sol(without iron) and made a W shaped boot from a pipe cleaner and taped it to her foot.
    She could drag herself along initially and the boot makes it even easier, she walks,is just a bit wibbly and looks like she limps, she didnt seem to be in pain when straightened it out. Should I be taking this off every day to check progress? Should I wait a week?? Is there anyway to clean her?? IM worried the others may be picking and Ill miss it?? The others let her nestle in with them and she is holding her own, they arent running her off...Thats good right?? Any advise or reassurance is MUCH appreciated, first time with an injured babe

2. littlestars17

Apr 9, 2010
    Anyone??Please?

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd leave the boot on for a week and then see. As for the membrane stuck to her try taking some warm water and with a q-tip or cotton ball try dabbing it to see if it loosens. She sounds cute got any pictures? [​IMG]

4. Indianfeathers

Indianfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    I don't have any helpful ideas, But I do have a Roo who suddenly has curled toes and now is hobbling. do you have a picture of the pipe cleaner boot. I think it may help my Roo.

5. littlestars17

Apr 9, 2010
  6. littlestars17

Apr 9, 2010
  7. littlestars17

Apr 9, 2010
    andddddddddddddddddd i suck at posting pics

8. littlestars17

Apr 9, 2010
    and her toes are all better!!! I am astounded!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by