Beaverdale Chickens :)

papinator

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 4, 2011
Des Moines
cool.png

Hello, I just got my first backyard flock of 6 chickens a couple weeks ago (we live in Des Moines, IA). I never imagined I'd be so infatuated with them! Getting the few eggs that we have gotten so far is like Christmas! My husband and I started with 4 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Americaunas. The Rhode Island Reds were supposedly born in January and we have gotten maybe 1 egg a day from them, some days 2. And the Americaunas have not yet started, but they are starting to settle in the yard and make little nests and set in them for periods of time in the afternoons, which tells me they are getting close! They were supposedly born in late March.

Unfortunately, we lost one of our Reds. Not sure what got to it, but we came home later one night (around 9) and I went to close them in the coop, and all but a few feathers was missing!

I am enjoying my chicken endeavors so much, I've already put a bid in for 6 more chicks to raise over winter, so by spring, they should be ready to go
smile.png

Hello from Kansas, papinator and
welcome-byc.gif
. I'm with you - I first got the chickens for their utility but found that I really enjoy having them around!!
celebrate.gif
Best of luck with your birds and on getting more eggs!
jumpy.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from North MS!!! Same thing happened to me and my husband, we got 3 hens and 1 roo 8 months ago and were immediatly addicts, lol! Now we have 13, and have 11 in the incubator and 24 more on the way, good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom