Bebe's Puppy Thread- 2/6 Eyes are open!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hunterjumper999, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    My extremely sweet girl is due with her first litter on 09/27.

I got her to show a little and to produce something that I can show and she did quite well with her previous owner... who was supposed to mentor me. Unfortunately he has opted out since our funds to buy his dogs and essentially run a kennel for him for free have dried up.

SO! now i have about 28 days to figure this out on my own.

This dog( a 3yo) has never been inside except now that we have her to hang out on the couch, watch tv and get baths. Is it 'better' to keep her outside for the birth or do i have time to bring her inside. Outside is a 20x10 kennel, concrete floor and a carport roof above. it is actually very clean and spacious. The other option i putting her in my air conditioned shed or the house . . . I'm not so worried about housebreaking ect as she doesnt go in the house when shes with me and i have a crate for her. . . which she also doesnt use as a potty. . . Its more the stress( on her) because i have three dogs who live inside and my fiance keeps telling me that she'll try to kill them once she whelps. She knows them interms of seeing and smelling them and seeing them during her inside time, but obviously im going to keep some kind of separation up during the whelping/raising. It is her first litter FWIW.

Would you recommend a kiddie pool or a whelping box for a 45 lb dog. I was hoping i could lay a painters drop cloth on the floor to catch any extra mess if she decides the floor is a better option. how messy is the actual birth?

How long should I wait before I take her to the vet if the birth is difficult. I am about 40 minutes from the vet.

We have a pup count check up at the vet soon and I am excited to see them. . . yet nervous because it makes it real. She's not gaining weight like a blimp which worrys me but is filled out some. . . I am already feeding her puppy food but read to stop that right before the birth because it actually slows down contractions ( the calcium?) . Would it be worth it to put her on something like Wellness and ignore the puppy food entirely?

Hopefully my vet can offer enough assistance and encouragement that I do not miss having the mentor.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. synoviaus

synoviaus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Blountsville, ALabama
    Hi, We raise bluetick coonhounds and they can birth sixteen puppies in one litter. We usually average around ten. Let's see, where to begin. LOL. First take a deep breath and relax. Most dogs need no help. It's easier if you have a whelping box with an edge around the sides so mama can't squish puppies accidentally. I would recommend laying down some old newspaper in the whelping box. After all puppies are clean and settled take them up and replace with a piece of carpet or blanket. Don't use shavings or hay. Puppies can ingest the shavings and smother in the hay. Watch for insects like ants if your babies are born outside. They have been known to kill babies. Birthing is a little messy, it really depends on the number of puppies. Mama will work hard to clean everyone and everything up, so usually not just horrible. Puppies are usually born around day 63 after breeding. Most mamas can take care of things themselves, and usually do better if left to it. It again depends on the individual dog. We have had some that were more content with us there, and others who were nervous. Get her used to the whelping area several days beforehand so she feels safe and secure there. Once you have the babies make sure all of them are nursing and get colostrum laced milk from mama. No colostrum equals a death sentence for the puppies. They won't have an adequate immune system to survive. It's good that you are feeding her puppy food. Make sure she gets plenty of calcium before and after whelping. I haven't heard of it slowing down the contractions, but if it concerns you ask your vet. Some mamas can actually develop a calcium deficiency after birthing, and have complications. The puppies will be leaching a lot of it from her when they nurse. We supplement our ladies with canned mackerel fish. They enjoy it and it's loaded with good stuff they need. You can also give her other calcium rich foods like milk, yogurt, buttermilk, and vanilla ice cream. Just work to keep her at a good healthy weight. You can weigh the puppies at birth and mark each one with colored rickrack. It helps to keep a count and to identify individual puppies. If you are concerned they aren't getting enough milk place them on mama so you know all had at least one round of fresh milk. Puppies can come as soon as 30 mins. apart to 1 hour. Again, it depends. Do you know how many she is expecting? It helps to know. If mama is straining a long time, and nothing is happening call a vet. Notify your vet beforehand so they can be on standby. Vets are usually great about answering questions. If you want to talk to me, I would be glad to answer any questions I can. Good luck! I can't wait to see the babies. Amy (205)429-4760

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  3. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    Good info from PP.
    Use the whelping box.
    I wouldn't have them whelped outside, ever. If you are concerned with indoors then your best place is the a/c shed. Don't make it to cold for the pups, they don't regulate their temperature very well and can easily freeze to death. Heat likewise will kill the quickly.
    Use that outdoor area as a play area for them when they are older.
    My girl was comfortable with people and my other dogs so she was able to stay indoors with her pups the whole time and so were our other dogs.
    The birth is messy. And gross! Extra towels is a must.

If the mom is breathing hard and no puppy in site I would take her in immediately. Also if you do have a count on pups and after a pup has come out but 2 hours has passed I would go asap.

I give a quality kibble to my dog so I never fed puppy food. I did give her vit C. After the pups were born I gave her milk replacer for 3 weeks until I switched it over to the pups. Also she was given NutriCal for added calcium. Everybody all got Cottage cheese also.

Watch for the pups to come early too. My girl had hers on a Wednesday when she was due on Sunday! Glad I was already prepared.

Post pictures of the mom and the pups!

4. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Most of the time people give puppy food for the extra protein, but wellness would be a better choice i think. You can give her a mix of milk water and give her canned dog food with her dry kibble.
    A very good vet that I used to go to, told us that we shouldn't worry about bringing ours in unless it had been several hours (4-5) till a puppy comes out. but it depends on how tired she is, and if she had been straining the whole time or just resting. Big dogs are a bit messier than little breeds (duh, lol) but you should have lots of extra towels handy. I keep a box of disposable rubber gloves handy too. I also like to record (if you're there) the time they are born, their colors/ markings and whether they are male or female.
    I would suggest if you can, to bring her in the house to have the pups. It would be a safer more controlled environment for the puppies. Maybe you could keep them in the laundry room or in a blocked off area in your house? Make sure it isn't drafty, too warm or too cold.
    Don't interfere unless you really have to. First time moms will usually be confused but they catch on quickly. If she is close to you then she might like to have your company and encouragement. It just depends on the individual dog. (some may rather be left alone)
    Let her lick and clean her puppies, it is a special bonding and imprinting moment for newborn pups to know who their mom is. The afterbirth is good for her to eat if she wants to eat it. Don't take the puppies away from her unless you really have to while she's having the others. I know sometimes they step on or lay on their pups, so be watchful of that. Keep the area she's in as clean as possible so that risk of infection is lowered.
    Later when everything is calmed down and everyone's born and settled in, you may want to weigh the puppies and record that too. That way you can track their growth and make sure they are getting what they need.

Hope this helps you out. [​IMG] Keep us posted on what happens!

5. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I have a litter due in 12 days. You are welcome to watch my webcam to see how I do things.

I am going to be very blunt here, okay, and tell you that some bully breed grump will kill/eat puppies. I would not have her unsupervised at all, whether indoors or out. Indoors would be a lot easier for you.

My web cam is active now, you can see my whelping box, etc. If you have any questions, please let me know. There is a chat box off my web cam where we can talk also.

Good luck!

6. hunterjumper999

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    We're on day 60 according to my calculation of FIRST tie. yesterday bee had a long strand of mucus when she went potty and shes had smaller amounts today, but not every time. She also had a small amount on the bedding in her whelp box. She's not nesting any more than she had been this week and she is not lactating. Temps are bouncing from 100.3 to 99.0... we have yet to hit 98.

I think we're getting closer!

7. hunterjumper999

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all shes pretty disgusted with the temperature taking, the coaxing to eat and the pea sized bladder she has developed.

On a side note I have succeeded in housebreaking an adult dog in about 3 days.

8. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    looks like she's ready to get those puppies out of her belly. lol.
    Usually they won't eat when they are getting close to labor, so that could be another sign for you to look out for.

Good luck and make sure to post pics [​IMG]

9. hunterjumper999

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    I'm starting to think the excessive barking to go out tonight and then the standing around outside panting but not really going potty may be another sign. temp is still 99 but who knows. . . I only know about people birthing ! I know people will not always know a contractions a contraction. I'll wait for the experienced people to chime in here [​IMG]

10. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    any puppys yet? looking for an update..... hopefully will have an update tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by