Because I live so far south...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CheekyMare, Nov 4, 2011.

1. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm curious, what is the shortest day length chickens will lay eggs at? My current layers are showing no signs of stopping.(but none of my younger hens are showing signs of starting) I'm not in a really big rush, just curious.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I believe they really need 14 hours of light.
    Mine have slowed way down since it gets dark so much earlier now.

3. briter30

briter30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Mine have slowed way down too. From about 5-6 week to 1 a week each chicken.

4. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Well that's not good, we almost made it in June. Maybe next year will be longer.

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:My chickens are doing really great (knock on wood)--- and our daylength is about 11-hours. I won't be artificially lighting them this winter. I think that there are quite a few varibles and one of them is the particular breed of chicken you are talking aboiut. Some folks say that their heritage breeds lay throughout the winter....and EE owners also talk about consistant laying. I have a golden-comet that I can count on an egg just about each day--- she truly is an 'egg laying machine'. Thus far the shorter daylight hasn't slowed her down.

I heard a statistic that the egg laying diminishes 20%. For a production/egg-selling facility that would be a significant loss. For a backyard chicken flock---it probably wouldn't hit that hard. So if you take a starting point of weekly eggs, and they you reduce by 20% that may be your winter laying rate. Another factor to consider is when the hen started laying. Short daylight hours may delay the onset of laying until days start to lengthen, but if the hen is already productive, it may not affect her too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by