Because I'm an idiot I screwed up.. hatches too close together

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chellebyerly, May 6, 2009.

1. chellebyerly

chellebyerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    I got my incubator up and running, it ran for a week, held temp and humidity and so I got 2 different friends to bring me eggs.

They kept forgetting. Finally on Saturday I got the first batch. 23 eggs.
    I set them on end, let them rest for the day and then Sunday morning I put them in.

Then on Monday I got my 18 from the other friend.

since I have a 18 month old who WILL NOT stay off tables, cabinets, etc. and sees eggs as food, And a cat who gets on the higher non food surfaces, and I couldnt remember why I had decided to wait till Thursday to put the eggs in, I put them in on Tuesday.

This means that the first batch will be ready to be put in the bottom non turning thing around the 22.

BUT, when (if) they hatch, and are ready to come out in about 24-36 hours, I will then have the next batch ready to be turned off and 'setting still' to hatch on that day or the day before. I know I am not supposed to open it during that time.

Now, I have wooden trays that sit on the turner (I have a large cabinet bator)

I put the eggs in cartons in the wooden box.

My question is:

when I take my 1st batch out and set them in the bottom, to get them settled for hatching I will be taking them out of the cartons, setting them on their sides.

At that time, should I go ahead and get the others out of their carton, set them on their side, and leave them in the turner?

If they hatch out in the wooden box, its okay, they are all the same. They have a 6 inch peice of hardware cloth on them to keep chicks inside.
    So I can just turn them off after grabbing the live chicks out. They would be on the second shelf and still.

Did that make sense?

I KNEW there was a reason to wait a few days, but honestly, I coulnt remember what it was. Till I was writing the hashmarks on the window counting the days...

2. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    Let me see if i understand.
    You have a cabinet incubator correct?
    Does it have a hatching tray in the bottom?
    Did you cut the bottoms out of the egg cartons for air flow?
    On day 18 put the first eggs in the hatcher.
    Leave the others turning until day 18.
    When the first babies hatch take them out when they get good and dry and fluffy. It does not hurt to open the incubator as long as you spray the eggs with warm water to restore the moisture you let out.
    Good Luck !

3. chellebyerly

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    you are correct on all counts! [​IMG] LOL

Thank you, So, I can maybe still do it? thats wonderful [​IMG]

4. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I snuck my first 4 chicks to hatch today out of the bator and into the brooder when they were all dry. I didn't want them crashing around in the incubator so much. I just watched the humidity and took them out quickly, 1 at a time, with putting the lid back on the bator in between to let the humidity climb back the 1% that it lost when I took the cover off. I still have babies hatching out so I guess I didn't do too much damage! It's really just a matter of being sure that your bator doesn't lose too much humidity or temperature.

5. chellebyerly

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    Thanks [​IMG]

thats one thing with a cabinet bator. the dadgum door is sooo big that you open it up and whoosh, all the air goes out. LOL

I will start testing and see just what I do loose between when I open and when I close... that way I can 'time' it. [​IMG]

6. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    I think people are too paranoid about opening the door. I don't even think about it. I open it when i need to. I think the most important time is during hatching and when i open it i just spray the eggs to restore the moisture i lost and move on. I have 3 cabinets and have been having great hatches. Try to worry less and enjoy it.

7. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    I agree with Danny.

I just open and close quickly and if I think I had it open too long, I just mist but not directly on the eggs.

I never hatch without opening a few times to take babies out and put them in an old styrofoan hatcher which is a "drying/fluffing" chamber before they go into my brooder at 12 - 24 hrs.

8. chellebyerly

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    Thanks y'all. I am glad to hear that side of it [​IMG]

I know I will have to open it and get some out. and especially with my hatch so unstaggard, I will need to be in there to get out babies and all that [​IMG]

y'al have givenme some relief [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by