Because of overly noisy chickens got warning f rom neighbors, can anyone help please...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cluky, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    So I have posted before, I have some seriously noisy chickens. Yes I understand the birds in general are noisy but this is taking it to whole we level. Every morning they scream! That is best I can d describe it. I do not have rooster in flock so no crowing, but I might as well because these chickens are loosed then rooster! Anyone know why this behavior can happen? They are not asking for door to be open, it is already open, food is these too. But every morning from about 6:30 to about 8 they proceed to scream. Ideas please becaus. Someone out ere is bound to know why this is happening this isn't normal for chickens!!!

2. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    I had a barred rock hen that's egg song was sang at the top of her lungs for every single egg laid by any hen or thought about bein laid! Sometimes over and over for an hour straight a few times a day! We'd holler at her to shhhhhh lol I'd send a kid down to go chase them just to distract her from the screeching lol. Tried a squirt gun...it made it worse lol We even thought about eating her.
    Then I disrupted the pecking order, sold head hen, set up a cage for my loudest hen separate in the cool shade on the other side of yard (mines large) for 2 days and pampered her but isolated her and then added 2 young pullets to the old flock. Reintroduced Mariah Carrie after 2 days of coop arrest and now she's quieter, only sings her song for Her own egg lol so I can deal with that. She's also the new boss of the flock tho lol even after isolation.

3. Angelicisi

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    Check nest boxes. Another loud girl I have screams all day if I don't have a proper nest for her, even if she has already laid! But I had one nest, low to ground...I moved it higher (2ft up) and added a 2nd one and she snuggles in now instead of wandering around the yard/porch yelling for a place to drop an egg. (even tho! There was a perfectly good nest the other girls use all the time! Ug divas)

4. Angelicisi

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    Might be the breed. My barred rock and barnavelder are NOISY a lot. My EE and Ameraucanas are really relaxed and quiet unless there is a problem, I like that kind of noise...warnings of danger are good to know here so I can hurry and chase off a predator, but constant hollering with neighbors close can be bad :
    What kind are your noisy chickens? If its really a bad problem you may want to sell and start over with a quieter breed...

5. Cluky

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    Not egg song I love that, this is literally pure screaming at 6:30... Today was the worst!!! I love chicken noise but this is disturbing sounds!!!

6. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    show us a video so we can hear It too

7. Cluky

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    Can't minute I walk up to them they stop!!! But will try tomorrow maybe to just out camera in for long time. Ps they are perfect clucking hens right now!!! Even with me not there.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have one or two girls that just stand around in the coop and carry on before they get into a nest box to lay, so I think it is common. I would leave your door to the coop closed until 9 AM when they generally are more quiet.

9. Angelicisi

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    I had a snake stalking the coop for eggs for a few weeks and they'd scream warning calls but it was always gone when I looked for a threat. Then one morning they caught it and killed it! Back to the egg song...check for a rat or snake nearby?

Without hearing it its hard to say what it sounds like, threat, egg songs gone freestyle, normal chicken banter...

10. Cluky

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    Will post when I catch them in act

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by