Bechemel sauce

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by dadthebaker, Nov 21, 2011.

1. dadthebaker

dadthebaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Los Angeles Area
    Just made a some for the Boys lunch...thought I would share this simple SIMPLE sauce!

All the kids in the fam go crazy for this sauce, which I use on all shapes and sizes of pasta....I even replace for tomato suace in lasagna when I want it to be completely white.

I also add different flavors to it: chicken base (I used Better Than Bullion); or, a tad of tomato paste; or, replaced one cup milk with coconut milk; or replace one or two cups heavy cream (talk about rich!!); or Added canned chipotle pepper to make killer "mexican spagetti"...it is a very versitile sauce that will go as wild as your imagination runs!

Bechemel

5 Tablespoons butter, melted
    5 Tablespoons flour
    4 Cups milk
    1/8 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
    Salt and pepper to taste

On very low heat stir in flour to melted butter. low to med heat cook flour until a tan, sand color.

Add nutmeg and stir for one minute.

Raise heat to med high and add milkl stirring until boil. Lower heat to low and stir occasionally for 10 - 15 min. Add salt and pepper.

Serve immediately on pasta.

Lemme know how it works out for ya!

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Thank you for the post dadthebaker.

3. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

One of the "mother sauces"... A classic french sauce that is used for so many other sauces.

5 Tbls melted butter
    5 Tbls all purpose flour
    4 cups milk
    1 medium onion peeled
    1 bay leaf
    3 cloves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    Melt butter in a large sauce pan on medium heat, add flour and stir and cook until flour until it is a nice golden blonde color.
    Add milk while whisking into the roux so you don't miss any of the roux on the bottom of the pan, once you have added and whisked all milk into the pan affix the bay leaf to the onion with the cloves.
    Add that onion to the sauce pan, cover the pan with aluminum foil and place pan in the preheated oven and bake about 25 minutes. Perfect classic béchamel sauce (as taught by Chef Herve).

My "bechamel sauce for mac & cheese:

1 medium onion small dice
    2 tbls evo
    2 tbls butter
    4-5 tbls all purpose flour
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp seasoning salt
    2 bay leaves
    4 cups milk

12 oz grated sharp cheddar
    8 oz. grated parm or "pizza blend" cheese
    1 1lb box ziti pasta
    1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs.

Melt butter and eve together in a dutch oven, add diced onion and sauté until clear. Now add flour and stir about 3-4 minutes until it takes on a nice blonde color, whisk in milk until all roux is dissolved. Ass spices and bay leaf and simmer about 15 minutes. While simmering put ziti pasta on to boil in heavily salted water. Add cheese to béchamel and remove from heat, stir in cheese until all is melted. Add a bit of the pasta water to the béchamel, drain pasta and add to the sauce. Sprinkle bread crumbs over top of pan, bake for 30-35 minutes until golden. Let rest 15 minutes before serving.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by