Becky hasn't laid an egg for a week

NeeCee51

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
A week ago yesterday Becky had her bad leg debrided at the vet and ever since then she has not laid any eggs. I didn't think much about it for a few days since she was giving us one egg every other day but I am concerned now. Thought maybe it was due to the stress of having her leg worked on. She is still eating but has slowed down on her treats. She lays down more than she used to but again I blame that for having to support her weight on one leg because the other one is bandaged. I've never been around an egg bound chicken but some of the signs aren't there. Any ideas?????

Stress, changes, trauma etc can stop egg laying, and this time of year a lot of them are molting anyhow. Would think a combination of things has shut her down. Have you checked her abdomen and does it seem normal? Are you going to take her back to the vet to have the leg checked again any time soon?

Hi Chicken Obsessed, She has certainly had her share of stress in the last month or so. With changing her bandage every night and shoving antibiotics down her throat three times a day as well as the debridement a week ago. That's really when it started. She is going back to the vet on the 15th. My husband felt her abdomen last night when we changed her bandage and he said he didn't feel anything unusual. Of course we are so new at this I'm not sure what to even look for. I don't think she is molting...don't they lose feathers when that happens? I think I'll just watch her and see if she starts acting more normal in the next week or so. Thanks for your help..NeeCee

As Kelsie2290 stated,any stress/trauma/injury will halt egg production,this is very normal. Your body cannot function properly if you are ill/injured,give her time.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all your help..I'm new at this and love this site. So much great information!! I'm glad I joined!!

Back
Top Bottom