Becoming a hen made her brave...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommto3kiddos, Jun 28, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    One of our hens that just started laying has become rather brave over the past few weeks. The other 6 girls are still super shy and timid and only come to treats and food. But my egg laying girl just leaves them all behind to follow the kids around the yard or to explore the swingset, take a munch in the garden.. You sit down she comes right up and will get all up in your business, even when your trying to do something and shoosh her off! She has no problem wondering off on her own without the rest of the flock (which cant stand to be more than 6 inches from each other)...

Its super sweet and Im loving it (except that she thinks my 2 year old daughter is treat dispenser and pecks at her hands).. Im just wondering will all the girls become this brave once they mature more like her?? Or is she just a bossy dominant hen???

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Most hens mellow out once they start laying, I've only had a few who didn't. It is funny how they start helping with everything! [​IMG]

But, now you know the downside to hand feeding treats- they come to expect it! Be really careful, since your daughter is much closer to hen level and those pecks can take out an eyeball!

3. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    We have since started tossing treats to them instead of hand feeding.. [​IMG] She got my daughter one good time the other day and now my daughter stays away..lol Plus we are always within arms distance of both when they are out together..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by