Becoming friends with your baby peepers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sweetpea409, Apr 12, 2012.

1. sweetpea409

sweetpea409 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Northern MI
    I am new to raising baby chicks, but I have six chicks that are about one week old. They are doing great, very lively, and I have been trying to hold them every day so they get more used to me. I make the holding time as short as possible, but would it hurt to handle them for more than a minute at a time? Also, any tips on getting them better acquainted with me would be much appreciated.

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Handle them as much as you want, there's absolutely no limit on that. :p
    Also, feed them treats. The chickens tend to recognise whoever it is that feeds them the most often, and will come running when they hear your footsteps or your voice. :lol:

3. sweetpea409

Apr 9, 2012
    Northern MI
    Yay! I'm so excited! Is one week old too soon for treats? I know I have to give them grit if I do treats, but I thought that I might have to wait a couple of more weeks to start that.

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    No, one week is cool, you can start them on treats! Cooked egg is a favourite, as is lettuce and insects. (Should've seen them when we bought home a bag of dead crickets we'd collected for 'em - they went crazy) Or if you let them scratch around outside they won't need grit as they'll pick it up from the ground.

5. PrincessChicken

PrincessChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mine really enjoy oats (as in oatmeal). I bought the "quick" cooking kind, as they are chopped up into finer pieces. Also, they make chick grit which is in smaller pieces. I didn't know I was supposed to offer grit and so mine got treats for a few weeks before getting the grit and they didn't have any problems. I started treats at 2 weeks old, going outside at 3 weeks, and grit at 4 weeks.

6. L3Home

L3Home Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    Yakima, WA
    With mine, I found out (mostly by accident) that they absolutely *loved* the chick crumbles when they were all ground down to a powder (between my fingers) and I held them in the palm of my hand or on the ends of my fingers... I don't know why, I'm sure it tasted the same, but they went absolutely berserk and the chicks that used to run from my hands suddenly gathered around me like rock band fans and pecked it up like it was going out of style!

My car was in for service, and my bag of chick grit was in the trunk, so it was the only treat I could give them, which is the only reason I thought to even try it... I'm glad I did. It worked great. The shyest chick of the bunch now comes right up to me, steps onto my hand, and she's even walked up my arm twice to sit on my shoulder! Definitely isn't scared of me anymore! The others also are very friendly to me now, they let me pet their chests and some of them step onto my hands without treats now. There's only one exception, but she won't even take treats -- that's the Wyndotte. She's always been aloof.

I've since started giving them grit and feeding them grass (I cut it down to half-inch or 3/4-inch pieces) but they still like the crumble dust best. I've got a bag of mealworms for them but haven't started giving them those yet.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  7. sweetpea409

Apr 9, 2012
    Northern MI
    Awesome! These were some very helpful replies, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by