1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Becoming NPIP certified... How?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 19hhbelgian, Sep 7, 2009.

1. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I would like to be able to ship eggs, and possibly birds once I get my breeding program in order, but need to be NPIP. How do I go about achieving this?

Thanks!

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Google your state department of agriculture. Then follow the links and windows through to poultry. I am in VA and the website was pretty easy to maneuver.

It seems that only the Dept of Ag can do this. My vet just looked at me like I was loopy when I asked him about NPIP [​IMG]

3. 19hhbelgian

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Thank You!

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yup, All you have to do is call your State Dept. of Ag. and they will give you info to get in touch with the State Animal Vet. Mine sent me to the State Animal Inspector and he comes out every year to do blood testing and also once every 3 months to test a few birds for Avian flu out of your flock, a throat swab. Testing in WV is free. Some states allow you yourself to become a tester for NPIP but mine does not.

5. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    What is the cost usually for all this testing? [​IMG]

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:WV does this for free. Most states do too. I think if you want to become a tester for NPIP there is a charge for taking classes. Just ask when you call your State Ag. Dept. if there is a charge for having your birds tested.

7. 19hhbelgian

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I do think PA is free. I vaguely remember some one telling me that. Going to call the ag department today [​IMG]

8. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    I don't think My mom payed anything... I like being NPIP, but it's got its bad points [​IMG]

9. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Bad points????

10. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Quote:Like passing up a BEAUTIFUL BL Polish bantam frizzle hen cause the owner is NOT NPIP!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by