Becoming NPIP Certified?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ShadyGroveFarm1, Mar 17, 2015.

1. ShadyGroveFarm1

ShadyGroveFarm1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2014
    SW Virginia
    I am thinking about becoming NPIP certified, but is it worth it? I live in Virginia and I know they have some strict rules about shipping eggs INTO Virginia, but what rules are there about shipping OUT of Virginia? I want to start selling Hatching eggs and I know that you have to be NPIP to ship. So does anyone have any info about NPIP in VA?

2. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    You have to be NPIP certified to ship eggs across any states borders.

3. ShadyGroveFarm1

Jul 25, 2014
    SW Virginia
    Yes I know that. What I was asking is how I go about doing that, how much it costs, or if anyone had any information on it in VA?

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/animals/npip.shtml

Has an application link right on the page and list's there other web links for clarification of what's needed on application.

Click the checklist link too. It clears thing a bit more. No cost for enrollment but there are costs for testing. Might be independent testers like vetrenarian so cost for tests and how many you want would vary.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  5. ShadyGroveFarm1

Jul 25, 2014
    SW Virginia
    Thanks! From y'alls experiances how much does testing usually cost?

6. LBKS

LBKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Louisburg, KS
    You'll have to see what the costs are for your state; I just read up on this for mine as I'm wanting to get NPIP certified. In Kansas for example, it's $0.05 per bird or $1.00 minimum total for testing., and it sounds like the state does the testing itself.

This looks like the Virginia site to look at: http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/animals/npip.shtml

The "checklist" link is about what the tests are and frequency. It says for your state the only cost is the costs associated with testing, but I couldn't find a link to who does testing. I think if you called them up or sent an email, you could probably find that out. Here is a link that came up when I searched for someone who got NPIP certified, in Virginia when I was trying to hook you up with a resource. If they are still doing it, that could be one resource.

7. ShadyGroveFarm1

Jul 25, 2014
    SW Virginia
    Yes I've looked at both of those links. The KMV farm is actually a BYC member @ki4got . She is about 45 minutes through an hour away

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    No experience with Virginia but the important thing is the requirements of the state you ae shipping to much more than the state you are shipping from. Each state has its own NPIP requirements and NPIP programs. In Arkansas it’s not that hard to go to a class and become a certified tester. Our import requirements aren’t very stringent either compared to Virginia’s. Some hatcheries don’t ship to Virginia because they require a specific test and a lab is not available in that state to do the testing.

I think your best bet is to call someone in that department with the state and chat with them. You might find a contact online or you can call your county extension agent. They should know a good person to call.

Good luck. At least here in Arkansas it’s not hat hard.

9. ShadyGroveFarm1

Jul 25, 2014
    SW Virginia
    Thanks!, I know there is someone in Harrisonburg, VA to contact. I guess I'll contact them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by