Bed time problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scott G, Feb 18, 2014.

1. scott G

scott G New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    Florida
    My young hens have recently been introduced to their new run. I open the coop door every morning just before dawn. (When I go to work). They don't seem to understand that its in their best interest to return to the coop at dusk. Not yet anyway. How long should this take and are there any tricks to speed up the process? I'm new at this. Thanks!

2. eggsong

eggsong Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    You may have to help them learn, by putting them in their house every night for about a week or so.

3. scott G

scott G New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    Florida
    That's what I've been doing. I want to keep them safe but was thinking maybe there was more i could do to train them.

4. eggsong

eggsong Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    Just keep doing what you are doing. About dusk is usually a good time.

5. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    I put my girls in the coop the first few nights. Eventually one or two of them started going in at night and the rest followed. You can also lock them in the coop a day or two so they will know that the coop is a safe place. Just give them a little time and they will go in on their own.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Can you confine them to the coop for a few days? I don't know if that's feasible with your set-up, but that will make them sleep in the coop for a few days. Chickens are incredible creatures of habit, and once they're used to sleeping there they should continue to do so.

7. acsteele

acsteele Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    South Central Kansas
    I kept mine in the coop for a few days, they were a little, well...chicken to venture out. Once the girls were out, it only took a couple of times "tossing" them back in the coop at dusk, and they figured it out from there

8. scott G

scott G New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    Florida
    Thanks for all the feedback! The ladies figured it out after a few nights of help. They seem very happy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by