Bedding changes in brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Agilityscots, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    How often am I supposed to change the pine shavings in my brooder? I have five girls (almost one week old) and I'm changing it once a day. Should I be changing it more often? I'm changing food 1-2 times a day, and water 2+ times a day.

Amy

2. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    I think it all comes down to what you personally feel is best. There are so many factors: how deep your shavings are, how big your brooder is, if your chicks stay in one place, etc. Change it when it *looks* like it needs to be changed.

In the particular brooder I had mine in, I could just do a full change every other day, cleaning out particularly soiled areas and adding in more shavings in between. Like I said, I think it differs for everyone.

3. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Thanks, Jsto. I just wanted to make sure that once a day was enough and that it wasn't too dirty. I keep the shavings about 2" deep. I don't want my little girls getting sick. They're a week old tomorrow and boy are they just zipping around that box like nobody's business!

Amy

4. hensnchix

hensnchix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2007
    I also clean my brooder once a day. (My five-week-old chix are on shredded paper, though, not shavings.) Sometimes, when they were younger, I'd do it twice a day, since they seemed to walk through their droppings and then track them all over the brooder. Now they seem a little neater...or maybe I"ve just gotten used to how messy they are!

Susan

5. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Thanks Susan...I think I will stick to once a day, then, unless I see an unusually high amount of poop!! LOL

Amy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by