1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bedding Chopped Cardboard

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ullie, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Ullie

Ullie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    I have read a couple good reviews about this, especially that it is not dusty.

Wondered if anyone here uses it and if so where did you purchase it?

Thanks

2. Anna-MN

Anna-MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    I have honestly never heard of this, but I really like the idea! I hope someone on here has some experience with it...

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    It seems to me that chopped cardboard would tend to hold moisture.

Chris

4. Ullie

Ullie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    Yes and that is a good thing!

5. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    I would be concerned with toxicity if the cardboard had any ink about it. If it holds a lot of moisture it could possibly bring forth mold problems too. I've seen there is an Arm & Hammer natural pet bedding now on the market which is made from cellulose fibers. It also contains their odor absorbing baking soda. I'm still in debate about using this type of bedding in a baby chick brooder. We bought several bags of this because it was for sale at a greatly reduced price at an Amish discount store. So, needless to say I have LOTS of bags of this. I'll do a review if we ever decide to use it at Red Barn Farms. The first thing I noticed was the large size of the bedding. It's not small ground by any means.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Actually, no it isn't. Sure it'll soak up the moisture but it will hold it and not dry out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by