1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bedding eaters!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flying_babyb, Apr 2, 2011.

1. flying_babyb

flying_babyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chick land
    So my chicks moved into the big brooder today, which means they have more bedding. I noticed that they are burrying themselves so only there head and tops of there wings are uncoverd, Is this normal? Also why do the other birds peck at them to eat the bedding off? Should I worry?

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Sounds to me like you have some very happy chicks! They love to dust in clean bedding, then they wonder whats all over their buddies.

3. flying_babyb

Mar 18, 2011
    Chick land
    I thought so, but my ma flipped out thinking they were attacking each other LOL

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I agree... Just happy birds taking a dust bath. Very normal.

5. flying_babyb

Mar 18, 2011
    Chick land
    Oh good! Now can I ask anothr quick question? I have one chick who loves to be held. Well recently I noticed she tends to end up sleeping alone when everyone else is sleeping in a pile (there warm enough, just snugglers). Is this somthing to worry about? I dont want her to be the outcast chick!

6. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    There will always be the lowest in the pecking order and she sounds like it. Just snuggle her up and enjoy. She will be happy in the order, so no worries. As she grows, she may get more confident (especially being the favorite of course) and move up the pecking order ladder. And the shavings bath is so cute, they spit out most of the bedding by this age, so don't worry as long as the feed is being eaten. OH, chicks peck whatever they see, freckles and moles, bugs, black specs, green specs or whatever catches their eye. A good quality feed and not over crowding and they won't peck too much. Take some pics!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by