1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bedding for chicks and ducks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bucolic beauty, Mar 17, 2011.

1. bucolic beauty

bucolic beauty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Drain, OR
    Yes, yet another bedding question. I'm sorry. We currently have 5 chicks and two ducklings together in a brooder. Right now we're using a brand of pellets called Nature's bedding but are wanting to switch to hay for cost reasons. Is hay absorbent enough for the splish-splash-I-was-taking-a-bath ducks? The pellets are pretty absorbent but the ducks are determined to turn the brooder into a "quackmire."[​IMG]

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    hay will get slimy even faster, and it get slick and smelly when wet. How about plain old pine shavings? Around here is $6 for a big bag. You can also absorb some of the water by using puppy training pads under the bedding. Shredded paper is another cheap alternative... doesn't last long though.

3. bucolic beauty

bucolic beauty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Drain, OR
    Good to know. The house already smells like a barn.[​IMG] Puppy training pads - genius! I'll definitely pick up some of those. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by