Bedding for chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CBee, Feb 3, 2009.

1. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    In the past I've just used these really thick and tough paper towels, similar in texture and weight to sweat-rags, but they were a pain to clean up and the chicks ended up eating the edges.

I decided this year I'd use pine shavings, but none of our local stores carry them, only cedar.

Is there anything else I could use for chicks? Could I use straw, or would that only create spraddle leg? What if I put straw underneath and covered it with the thick paper towels. (I bought some more in preparation for next week. These turned out to be thicker than last year, so maybe the chicks won't eat it this time...)

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Possibly rubber shelf liner, I use crushed corn hobs.

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I got some white bath towels at a yard sale. I like to use them the first week as when new chickies are on shavings they eat the shavings, not knowing the difference between food and shavings. I just change out the towel each day and then wash and bleach them after the first week.
    Then I use pine shavings. Any feed store or even walmart carries big compacted bales of pine shavings.

4. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    It's hard to believe that a local farm and home store does not carry pine bedding.

5. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Quote:I haven't checked the Co-op yet, but I'm sure they would have them. I just know that our big stores like Wal-Mart and K-Mart don't have them. Other than that, the Co-op is my only choice. We don't really have any other place to turn to, unless we want to search high and low.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If you have a Wal-Mart around, they sell pine shavings in the pet dept. I have bought them there.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by