Bedding for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cochinbantam-lover, May 4, 2009.

1. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Hi,
    I have heard that it is a good idea when your chicks first arrive to use newspaper with paper towels on top to prevent any foot and leg problems later on. My question is how long does this need to be done before using other bedding materials?
    What is a safe bedding to use, pine, aspen, corn cob ground, suggestions please?

Thanks!

2. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    I think you could use the paper towels as long as you wanted, but after a week or two you'll be tired of changing the paper all the time. I really like the pine pellets made specifically for bedding. I used about a two inch layer and had virtually no smell for 3 weeks.

3. verlaj

verlaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Micanopy, Florida
    Did you spray the pine pellets with water and fluff, per the recommendations on the bag I have, before the chicks arrived or do you use them as is - in pellet form?

4. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    We use them in pellet form and do not wet them down. Chicks do that as they grow LOL. BTW you can use either the pine pellets or wood stove pellets both will work.

5. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I swear, you pine pellet users, you have me convinced to give them a try when my pine and aspen shavings are done.

6. BethESH

BethESH Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there!

I use the pine pellets - it's labeled equine bedding - with paper towels over it. (Just got my shipment from Ideal on Thursday.) The problem is that when the waterer shifts just enough to get the bedding wet, the pellets disintegrate into some sort of extremely fine powder. I'm worried about how the chicks will do when I stop doing the paper towel thing. Any thoughts?

Beth

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    You really only need paper towels (I use puppy training pads) for 3 days; then, switch to whatever you've decided to use.

I prefer shavings. I use pelleted bedding for my horses, so I have that avaialble, but after trying it for chicks/chickens, I switched back to shavings. Pellets aren't soft & fluffy, which I think the chickens/chicks prefer. I probably do this more for me than them, though!

8. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I do the puppy pads for the first few days. I have used pine shavings, but I'm preferring the equine pine pellets now. I do moisten just a little on the top layer to give them a soft place to lay. I have to elevate the water and feed, though, as I'm finding my chicks love to scratch and fling any bedding I use.

9. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Thankyou so much to all who replied to my questions about bedding etc.! You're the best and I am so glad I found this board I am learning so much!!! [​IMG] I'll bet I will have lots more as time goes on.

10. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    i wouldn't use newspaper, as sometimes the inks in the paper smell and rub off on the chicks. it can cause respiratory damage. paper towels are great and i start mixing in pine shavings as they get older!

good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by