1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bedding for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stephanie1992, Feb 20, 2012.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

would shredded news paper be ok for chicks???

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    it will get nasty pretty quick. I use puppy pee pads, it's easy to see what's there and I don't have to worry about them eating the paper scrounging around for food....

3. stephanie1992

ok i have thos lol i will use them. i have 59 eggs due the 2nd. soo far they are all good. Im surprised they are all good lol. i have a big homemade brooder. it has two waterers in it and a long chick feeder. and two very small heat lamps. i was just thinking what to use for bedding till i got the ceder shavings

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    DON'T use cedar shavings. It can cause respitory issues. Many people use pine shavings. I prefer pine pellets. These are available at feed stores. They are different than woodstove pellets.

Shavings should be covered with paper towels for the first few days. Not a slippery paper like newspaper. This will keep them from eating the bedding and let their feet grow a little bit. I very useful tip is to put several layers of paper towels down before you put the chicks in. As a layer gets dirty you can easily remove one layer and there is already a fresh layer under it. Depending up the size of the brooder and the number of chicks you will need to change the paper towels once of twice a day.

5. stephanie1992

ok i knew one was bad. i just couldnt remember. ill make sure i get pine.
    and the pellets...are they like the ones used in horse stalls??

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  6. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Yes the pellets I use are sold at a feed store and are often used in horse stalls. They sometimes run a bulk special, such as a ton. The specific brand I use is "Natures". I have no idea if it is a local or national brand. I bought a few bags on sale a few days ago for $4.00 for a 40lb bag.

7. stephanie1992

wow thats really cheap. ill probably pick up a bag of that. The chicks do good on it??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by