Bedding for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tbone101, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Tbone101

Tbone101 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    I was wondering what type of beddin to use for my chicks.m

Any ideas?

2. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    How old are your chicks? When mine were only a few days old I had them on paper towels, then after about a week I put pine shavings in the brooder. Now that they are outside in the coop they have sand as their bedding.

3. JiJis hens

JiJis hens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    Mine at first had a pee pad (easier clean up [​IMG]) now that they have their own chicken coop at 8 weeks they have pine shaving and love it.

4. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Mine have pine shavings, and are three weeks old. I haven't had any problems with them eating the shavings. I put mine in a box with a puppy pee pad when i take them outside or clean out their cage, but I can't use that for long-term since I have a few feather-footed chicks. They end up with the dreaded poop foot on the pee pad.

Pine shavings, fluffed daily with a sprinkling of fresh shavings, and a total clean-out once or twice a week. I have eight chicks in my front room and it doesn't have a bad smell with this method.

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I use pine pellets. I like them much better than pine shavings. Many of the feed stores around here use them too. For the first few days I cover them with paper towels but I don't think this is necessary. I will never use pine shavings or anything else in the brooder again,

6. JiJis hens

JiJis hens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    Where do you buy pine pellets? I live in the city and it's so hard to find anything for chicks.

7. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    I also use shavings. A word of caution; if you use paper towels or something of the like, use pine shavings or another bedding over it to prevent splayed legs.

8. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    You can order them online.

9. woodsman23

woodsman23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    pellets are the same thing used in a pelet stove any feed supply store stocks pellets or tsc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by