Bedding for coop?

Squeak61

Songster
5 Years
May 22, 2017
Connecticut
Hello everyone! As some of you may know, I’m making a new 8’ by 10’ coop for my flock (finally :celebrate). I don’t know what bedding I should use now. Usually, I would use bagged pine sawdust for my tiny coop. But it will take several bags every time I clean the new larger coop. What do you all use? Maybe hay? Or can you buy sawdust in bulk?

Are you making a poop board? If you do, you may only need to clean your coop out twice a year. You can add shavings occasionally, to freshen the bedding, between clean outs.
I use pine shavings and have a poop board, in my 8 x 12 coop.

Thank you for all the ideas! I think I’m going to end up using a mix of straw and pine shavings. I can always switch if it doesn’t work out. Thanks again!! :)

We are using 6+ inches of pine NEEDLES FOR our 16' × 16' outdoor run. It will be easy to scoop up & compost in the Spring. I expect it to keep the birds off of the mud.

PART_1499868752779_Resized_20170624_182047.jpeg
I use pine shavings inside the coop, outside on my concrete pad, I put down a layer of straw, which both are changed out once every two weeks. In the outside, uncovered portion of my run I put down alternately straw or hay, and pine shavings. I have never 'cleaned' out the uncovered portion of the run.

Back
Top Bottom