bedding for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mom2punkadus, Nov 21, 2010.

1. mom2punkadus

mom2punkadus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2010
    Carter Lake, Iowa
    I had intended on using deep litter method. I haven't cleaned the coop, just put down fresh bedding on top of the compressed stuff. I didn't need to clean sit; food and water was in the run and such.

Well our 3 new hens had crd and we wound up culling them. [​IMG] Tomorrow I am completely emptying out the coop and disinfecting it. I am adding new pine bedding in obviously. My question is can I also add dried leaves from the yard? Just for some extra padding for warmth?

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello.
    forgive me for asking what is crd? as far as adding leaves, guess you could. i dont tho. i have heard others on this site use leaves for nesting boxes? are you trying to save money or are you out of shavings?

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    CRD = Chronic Respiratory Disease
    I read on one thread that leaf litter is actually very good bedding material. Less dust than shavings so less respiratory problems.

4. mom2punkadus

mom2punkadus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2010
    Carter Lake, Iowa
    Annie a bit of both. [​IMG] plus we are trying, in our limited capacity, to teach our girls about using the resources available to them. We have a yard full of dry leaves, so it seems logical to do a half pine, half leaf mixture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by