Bedding for ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SED, Jan 19, 2010.

1. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    Can you use pea gravel or smooth rounded river rock in a brooder for ducklings? I am using pine shavings now but they are keeping it wet and I am having to change it often. I thought that a smooth pea gravel would help water drain or would it be bad for their feet and legs? Thanks!

2. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    I've been using wood pellets that expand to saw dust for my ducklings (5 weeks old now). I wet the pellets and let them expand to saw dust before I put it in the brooders. I also mix in some Sweet PDZ (absorbs moisture and ammonia to reduce smell) after the saw dust expands. Then I put down a thick layer between 1-2" deep. Every day I scrape the top 1/2" of the surface to remove any poop and replace anything that is wet (usually everything within a 6-8" of the waterer). The trick here is that I'm using very absorbent material and I'm using a lot of it so nothing ever saturates to the point where there is standing water.

I use large plastic storage bins for brooders so all the dust and moisture doesn't leak out anywhere. I also use waterers that they can't get into and splash water around. I keep the food and water in opposite corners (they were next to each other when they were still a couple weeks old to ensure they didn't choke). This keeps the food nice and dry.

So far this has been working really well for me (other than my 5 week old ducklings being too big for their brooders - I'm building them a larger one tonight).

3. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    I am thinking about building a raised pen with 1/2" hardware cloth and spearding about an inch or more of pea gravel or some kind of smooth rocks that would be bigger than the hardware cloth holes. This way, I can hose it out when it get dirty and the water will drain thru the rocks and hardare cloth and keep their water cleaner. Any thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by