Bedding for Keets

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by CK Chickadilly, May 4, 2009.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I am getting my 1st ever keets tomorrow & was wondering what to use for their bedding. Is paper towel ok?

Anything else I should know about baby keets other than they need to be kept warm for a couple of weeks, no chills? Right?
    Thanks

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We usually use paper towels for the first couple days and then switch to pine shavings. We had a couple hatch out Saturday and I just put them in the brooder with some chicks that just hatched. They are doing fine on the pine shavings but the chicks had already stomped it down some. If yours are shipped I would go with paper towels. Keets need a higher protien feed - we use a 28% game bird starter. Also if the crumbles are big you might want to grind them up finer so it's easier for them to eat.

Steve in NC

3. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Thanks Steve! I will do that! [​IMG]

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

How many are you getting? give us the dirt. [​IMG] We are going to be over run here in the next couple weeks. We had just been saving the eggs and when a flat of 47 got full I stuck them in the incubator. I know there is at least 3 maybe 4 flats in there. Now we are only setting the Jumbo giunea eggs.

Steve

5. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Well.....I am only getting 6 pearls. OMG [​IMG] that is a LOT of guineas! What colors do you have?

I am hoping to get a lavender hen & some blues & some royals. We have a bad tick problem in our area & I am hoping these guys will give us a hand! [​IMG]

Hey, good luck with your thousand keets! [​IMG]

6. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    You want to keep them warm for more than a couple weeks, just like chicks, 5 degrees less each week. Make sure they can't fall into their water either or they'll drown.

Good luck, they're fun.

7. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I get them tomorrow & I am so excited. I have little stones to line the drinker so they don't drown & I ground up their food a bit so it is small enough for them to eat. I can't wait to see what they look like, I have never seen keets. [​IMG]

8. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    They look NOTHING like what they're gonna turn into. [​IMG]

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Quote:Well.....I am only getting 6 pearls. OMG [​IMG] that is a LOT of guineas! What colors do you have?

I am hoping to get a lavender hen & some blues & some royals. We have a bad tick problem in our area & I am hoping these guys will give us a hand! [​IMG]

Hey, good luck with your thousand keets! [​IMG]

We have White, Jumbo pearl and a mixed flock of different colors.

Steve in NC

10. darrn

darrn Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    robertsville, mo
    My friend gave me 14 eggs so far only 7 have hatched but I see movement in #8. All the rest either were bad and a few were quitters. I have 7 "teenagers" now and hope these new ones will be welcomed into the flock when the time comes. I didn't think I'd like these birds but I do. They've cleaned up the fly problem I had quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by