Bedding for nesting boxes

cajun41887

Songster
Nov 25, 2015
Parrish, Florida
Have 14 week old chicks. Getting ready to open nest boxes in next couple of weeks. What should we use in nesting boxes? We have sand as bedding in the coop and run and all of our chicks roost on their own. We live in Florida so it's pretty hot here. Shavings? Straw? Sand? Pros and cons of each and any suggestions welcome. This is our first time with chickens and just wanna do it right b

I use hay/straw and sometimes shavings. shavings and straw will absorb any broken egg material. Also, straw and shavings are comfortable for the hens. They will be able to shape it into the shape of a nest, which also keeps its shape. Hens are more likely to lay in those two. It's mostly a personal opinion and various from person to person. I would not use sand though..

No problem!
big_smile.png

We use sweet Timothy hay packaged for small animals. I buy it at Meijer in the pet section.
It's cut to a perfect size to fit in the nestboxes.

I like to use a flake of straw, fits nice in my 14" x 14" nests and stays together so hard bottom of nests aren't exposed.

I sprinkle some DE underneath and on top to deter any possible pests,
then push it into a bit of a bowl shape, this moves DE down into straw,
and add some fake eggs/golf balls..and it's good to go!

Nothing will absorb a broken egg mess and it will get nasty in there, so if I get one I change out the bedding.

Have 14 week old chicks. Getting ready to open nest boxes in next couple of weeks. What should we use in nesting boxes? We have sand as bedding in the coop and run and all of our chicks roost on their own. We live in Florida so it's pretty hot here. Shavings? Straw? Sand? Pros and cons of each and any suggestions welcome. This is our first time with chickens and just wanna do it right b

I wouldn't use hay if I were you, it grows mold pretty fast.

Back
Top Bottom