BEDDING: HAS ANYONE TRIED SHREDDED CARDBOARD AND/OR BAMBOO LEAVES?

O.C.Chick

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
Newport Beach, CA
Hello.

Have any of you ever tried using shredded cardboard (cross-shredded with heavy-duty paper shredder) and/ or bamboo leaves?

I have an industrial-strength shredder which I use to shred uncoated cardboard and brown paper grocery bags and I currently use it as bedding in my worm-composting bins. The cardboard stays "fluffy" even when damp and does not "matt-down" like shredded newspaper when wet. I also have lots of Mexican Weeping bamboo in my yard constantly dropping an endless supply of 6" long narrow leaves (resembling pine needles but much softer and lighter). I would love it if I could recycle either of these materials by using them in my coop effectively.

I am wondering if any of you have ever tried either of these materials for bedding in the nesting boxes or litter on the ground, and if you forsee any problems...I could use these two materials together, separately, or mix them with shredded redwood compost (which I use as mulch for my plants due to the alkaline soil in my area)..

I have a 5' x 35' chicken run and want to set it up as a "deep litter"run for two silkies who will free-range about 25% of the time, and be in the run the balance of the time, so not too much of a poo-problem. I'm hoping to recycle the used litter/bedding in either my worm composting bins or to use as mulch in my garden.

Thanks for any thoughts you all may have!

Sincerely,

Alys

O.C.Chick :

Hello.

Have any of you ever tried using shredded cardboard (cross-shredded with heavy-duty paper shredder) and/ or bamboo leaves?

I have an industrial-strength shredder which I use to shred uncoated cardboard and brown paper grocery bags and I currently use it as bedding in my worm-composting bins. The cardboard stays "fluffy" even when damp and does not "matt-down" like shredded newspaper when wet. I also have lots of Mexican Weeping bamboo in my yard constantly dropping an endless supply of 6" long narrow leaves (resembling pine needles but much softer and lighter). I would love it if I could recycle either of these materials by using them in my coop effectively.

I am wondering if any of you have ever tried either of these materials for bedding in the nesting boxes or litter on the ground, and if you forsee any problems...I could use these two materials together, separately, or mix them with shredded redwood compost (which I use as mulch for my plants due to the alkaline soil in my area)..

I have a 5' x 35' chicken run and want to set it up as a "deep litter"run for two silkies who will free-range about 25% of the time, and be in the run the balance of the time, so not too much of a poo-problem. I'm hoping to recycle the used litter/bedding in either my worm composting bins or to use as mulch in my garden.

Thanks for any thoughts you all may have!

Sincerely,

Alys

Looked at your website- Your place is absolutely beautiful!!!!! Sorry don't know about the bamboo leaves or cardboard though .

Wayne
n
Tennessee​

I'd watch like a hawk for signs of mold, since you don't necessarily know how prone they are to it. Otherwise, I'd vote for "try it and tell us how it goes"
smile.png

Good luck,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom