Bedding ideas for chicks that still want to eat shavings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blessedmamato3, Jul 24, 2011.

1. blessedmamato3

blessedmamato3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Our chicks will be 2 weeks Wednesday. We just built an outdoor brooder and need some ideas for bedding. I've read that shredded newspaper will turn hard as a rock. The chicks will eat shavings (I would like to use these for ease in composting). Eventually there will be a hardware cloth floor, but there is OSB for now.

So what do y'all use?

2. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    in the brooder when we first got them we put down shaving and then paper towels over top for a few days...then it was just shaving...when we moved them out to the coop we have a concrete floor. We put some DE down, then some shavings and then straw. They love it. Every day around 11am they come in from the run and snuggle down in the straw for a nap, They also like to strach thru the straw and find things. Hope that helps!

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I never use anything but old towels any more. Shavings are too hard to dispose of (take forever to break down in the compost). With old towels, I take them and shake off the excess, then store them up until I have enough for a small load of "pet only towels". Easy peasy.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I buy the courser shavings at my local feed store. I have had no problem with the chicks eating the shavings.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. blessedmamato3

blessedmamato3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Thanks, guys. I think I'm going to give straw a go.

6. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    That kind of rubbery cushiony shelf liner is great to use as well. Easy to clean off and they don't tear it or eat it. Also great traction so they don't get spraddle legged. It comes on a roll and you can cut to size you need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by