1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

bedding in coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by phelanwolf, Jul 26, 2014.

1. phelanwolf

phelanwolf In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    so i put shavings in my coop, but the hens just kick it out and by the end of the week, all the shavings are on the ground around the coop, and barely any actually in it. should i just not even bother to put shavings in it?

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Enabler Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG]

What is your set up like?
    Size of coop and door configuration will help folks on here determine what is going on.
    I have a board slid into a channel to keep the bedding from being kicked out of the coop.

3. phelanwolf

Jul 19, 2014
    ok well it is a fairly small coop because i only have 3 chickens. it is about 3 feet by 5 feet and i think 4 feet tall. the door is on one of the long walls and about 1 foot by 1 foot.

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Enabler Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Ah so they are kicking it out when they go in and out the door. I would put a board on the inside of their door that is about 4 inches tall.
    I did screw one in on a small coop and have not needed to remove it for cleaning around. It wont stop them entirely but it would certainly help. Mine just step over and on it when they are going out the door.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  5. phelanwolf

Jul 19, 2014
    ok great! thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by