Bedding in thge coops

kerrysmommy

Songster
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
My house :]
i have heard of people useing sand and its easier to clean but than its bad............people useing shavings and thats bad.........soo my question is what do you use in your coops? and which is better?

I have an 8x8 coop and a 12x14 coop. I use pine shavings in both, with a kinda modified deep litter method. I say modified because I can't stand to let it pile up too much and do a complete coop clean out every three months.

I use a combination of about a 4 inch layer of shavings then it's topped off with about 5 or 6 inches of hay. It works well for me in my situation. I have a 12x6 coop area in a 12x20 wooden shed. There are so many different types of coops, climates, sizes of flocks, and individual preferences that it would be hard to say which one is "best". I think we all have to try different things until we come up with what works in our individual coops, in our particular climates, for our particular flock size, and something that also fits into what we are willing or unwilling to do.

I like my solution for me because all I do is turn it every other day or so. I sprinkle a little bit of DE down about once a month. That's all I am willing to do
smile.png
, LOL, I would not want to be out there with a cat litter sifter sifting sand because I have 15 chickens..... It would take me forever and I am at an age that if I can do the work from a standing position, I'd rather do that. I will empty the entire coop in the spring, after the coldest part of the winter is over and they are starting to spend more time outside. Anyhooo, that's my take on it.

Just take a look at all of the options, choose one.... or a combo of some that sound like they are something that you might be happy with and give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, there are so many options, I am sure you'll have no trouble finding what is just right for you
smile.png
. Best of luck with it!

I use sand under their roosting area and it works really good. I just scoop it 2 x a week. We use pine shavings in the rest of the coop and sorta the deep litter method, where we turn it and add some each time. Also use DE in the shavings and the sand to help with the smell. Were in FL so everything outside is sand so we have an endless supply, but I would def recommend it under the roost. They also use it for their sandbaths. Hope this helps
hu.gif

I use Pine Shavings in my coop & sand in the run. In my three sided coops I use only sand through out. Then add Pine Shavings to the covered part of the coop in the winter. It helps the birds stay warmer in the winter I remove the shavings in the spring.

I use sand in my VERY small coop.

I have sand on the bottom, and newspaper on the poop board. About twice a week(depending on the poop) I roll up the newspaper, trash it, put on a couple more layers(about 4 layers or else the moisture soaks through) and pick up feathers/poop on the sand floor.

If you have a large coop, use fine sand so you can sift the sand and have the poop and feathers ready to compost/whatever. I have such a small coop, I just use coarse sand so they can get some grit, and pick up feathers and large pieces of poop with my fingers.

That's my question too. I stopped using pine because it stinks after a few days. I've been trying to solve a water leaking under the coop. Didn't realize their was a river of water that runs right into the coop when it rains, when we built it. It's no good. Straw is better for me. But the sand thing sounds good. I think we just have to dig a french drain in the front of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom