Bedding issuues

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mnm, Apr 21, 2008.

1. mnm

mnm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Hi
    first off, I've been confused about this for quite a while and am still trying to get an answer:
    Do you put the same litter on the floor off the coop as you do in the nest boxes?
    I know that most people say to use pine shavings, but I don't know how much this costs. Does anyone know another alternative?
    Thanks
    mnm [​IMG]

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I use pine shavings, but the weather is mild in my area so I don't need a big coop (maybe one bag a month). I do put shavings in the boxes and on the floor.

3. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Pine shavings have worked well for me in the nest boxes and on the floor. Our coop is 5'x8' and a big bale of pine shavings goes a long way. The shavings are compressed and really expand once out of the plastic wrap.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I use the same in the nest boxes as on the floor, although I make sure the stuff in the nest boxes is always clean clean clean. I use shavings. You buy them in plastic- or paper-wrapped bales at the feedstore, roughly 1.5 x 2 x 3'. I pay $4.50 per bale, but it varies regionally. They're compressed in the bale (some brands moreso than others :>) and expand quite a lot when shaken out.

One bale will *comfortably* bed at least a 6x6 area. How much you use on an ongoing basis depends on how many chickens you have, how much time they spend indoors, and on your management program (e.g do you use a droppings board, droppings pit, etc and how pooey do you let it get before changing or topping-up bedding, which in turn depends on how well ventilated your coop is)

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by