Bedding/litter for Cornish x meat birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by fuhrchick, Jan 8, 2013.

1. fuhrchick

fuhrchick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    Sherman, Texas
    I have raised Cornish x meat birds in two separate groups... When day olds I used pine chips then moved the first group to wire and the second to a ground pen.... Both groups made an absolute mess. I am wanting to do another group as they were very good eating but I would like to try a different bedding that can be cleaned up easier. I would love to hear what anyone else has done!!!!!

Thanks!!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Interesting posting. You said it very aptly - Cornish X make an absolute mess. Read some of the posts on this thread about fermented feed - some are claiming that feeding fermented feed results in a more "normal" poop - not the messy diarrhea poop the Cornish X are so known for. I can't speak as the results of this claim.

The biggest problem I think with Cornish X is the sheer volume of poop - but that comes with the territory as they are bred to grow and grow quickly...and to do that you have to eat and eat and eat...and then, well, you know the rest. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  3. larrylofts

larrylofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    we use shaveings for show broilers that are used in horse stall bedding two three time a day take pitch fork to stir them dig up and not let it get compacted add a little shaveings every now and then the shaveings keep them from getting blisters on there breasts also find county agents and get book on raiseing show broilers it explains alot better than i can

4. fuhrchick

Dec 12, 2012
    Sherman, Texas
    Thank you! Larrylofts will have to make a stall up for them! Never really thought about that.

5. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    I use dirt. They mix it in real well and then it is wonderful for the garden. Plus I like these guys to peck dirt as well for health reasons.

6. fuhrchick

Dec 12, 2012
    Sherman, Texas
    LukensFarms, how big of an area do you have for them? And how many birds for the pen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by