1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bedding material question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by beechnut, Jul 7, 2008.

1. beechnut

beechnut New Egg

May 4, 2008
    NW part of SW Origun!
    Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and to raising chickens. We have 2 sex links and 4 barred rock hens. It's been a lot of fun so far! [​IMG]
    My question is that my wife wants to buy a shredder/chipper and use the alder and maybe Douglas fir around our property to chip for bedding for our coop. The run will have vinal flooring that we need to cover.
    Is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    Are you planning on drying the wood? Fresh wood would (woodchuck) be pretty wet.

It sounds like a good idea.

3. beechnut

beechnut New Egg

May 4, 2008
    NW part of SW Origun!
    Thanks for the reply!

I am planning on drying the wood as much as wood will dry here on the Oregon coast! :eek:

We have a lot of trees and the space to let the chips air out.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Softwoods need to be cured properly or they will release lots of phenols. These are toxic and cause respiratory issues. Even kiln dried shavings still give off some phenols. Aspen has been recommended for small pet cages because of that. In a coop with more air circulation than a small cage it isn't as big of problem but using very fresh shavings could be. I would have to cure them for a long time (months if not a year) before I'd feel safe using them.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Alder I wouldnt worry over too muvh. The fir had better get well dried and aired out before use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by