1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bedding on the coop floor is straw better than hay

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blueseal, Dec 11, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i am getting ready for winter i put pine shaveings on the coop floor and usually hay . this year i might try straw on top of the shaveings. will straw last longer than hay. iv noticed when usuing hay it get matted down alot quicker. any info on your thoughts thanks.

2. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

I personally prefer to use hay. The reasons are that straw will tend to be more slick to walk on and the straw also takes a long time to compost. Also because I have plenty of loose hay in the barn and can also get lots more from the stables. If I was to use straw I would have to buy it since we no longer have any need to keep it on hand. Also with straw since it tends to be larger and hollow it may allow undesired pest to seek refuge in it.

3. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    Quote:i dont know about there but clean grass hay is $2.00 dollars a bale where straw is upwards to $4.00 a bale i aint paying a n xtra $2.00 a bale for them to poop on

1 person likes this.
  4. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:i dont know about there but clean grass hay is $2.00 dollars a bale where straw is upwards to $4.00 a bale i aint paying a n xtra $2.00 a bale for them to poop on

i called a local farm supply store today and they said $ 6.25 a bale for straw. mulch hay 3 or 4 dollars

5. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    yea i believe it, the person who posted was worried about they hay matting, but i would tke a pitch fork and fluff it back up, it seems once straw finally mats, there is now fluffling, we bed everything down in hay, aint bought a bale of straw in years, the only good reason i see to by straw would be to fix the yard, cause the weed seeds found in hay, but that its self is still iffy, cause i would rather use good fescue hay to spread on the yard to fix the bare spots then straw, i guess to each is there own

6. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i will stick with hay its cheaper and probably easier to fluff up than straw.

7. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    If you live where there is a lot of moisture, straw and/or hay can hold the moisture underneath (it can look just great on top and be horrid underneath) and create mold conditions that can make the birds sick. I use pine shavings for coop floor and hay in their laying boxes. Also pine shavings absorb the moisture from the poop and dry quickly leaving you with fairly clean shavings on top all the time plus pine is a great odor controller. Straw as far as I know absorbs nothing and deodorizes nothing. I might also add to be careful with hay because they eat it which is fine but it can cause impacted and sour crops if it gets tangled and they can't pass it properly. [​IMG]

8. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    we do have a layer of sawdust underneth as it is free down the road (local sawmill)
    and you defintly dont want to leave it there to long, and dont make the mistake of by crappy hay and or straw that could contain briars, wild rose or what have ya or youll start to see bumble foot a whole lot more in your flock

9. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i was thinking hay on top of the shaveings would keep the coop warmer at floor level. so should i just put xtra shaveings down instead of the hay or straw method.

10. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    I use straw instead of hay because the goats will go in and eat the hay if it's there. They leave the straw alone once they realize it's straw. If we put pine shavings down under straw it gets ugly.

The pine shavings compost under the straw because the straw will hold the moisture in underneath. Then they glue themselves to the flooring. In the end, in order to get the pine shavings AND straw out when it's time to clean you need a rake to fluff up the hay and pull it out, then a hoe to scrape the inch of pine shaving yuck off the floor.

With the straw you just go in and rake rake done.

I'm not talking about leaving those pine shavings in there for a month or two either. I mean a month or so ago when we had all that rain? They were cooped up in there for a week or so? I had cleaned it out about a week before they went in, it was just pine shavings. When the weather started, I threw in the straw to help with the cold...when the rain let up I went out and there it all was. YUCK and MUCK.

Now, we use just the straw.

Laney

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by