Bedding pellets or shavings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickened, Mar 29, 2012.

1. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    For the sole purpose of controlling/preventing cocci which do you believe is the best bedding for chicks? Pellets or Shavings?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I really doubt either one would make a difference for cocci. I understand the best way for them to build up a resistence to cocci is to gradually expose it to them. This is the purpose of "medicated" feed.

There are other reasons to choose between pellets and shavings. I personally prefer pellets for the brooder. I found that they don't get into the food or water as much as shavings. I don't think they are as dusty. And they are easy to cleanup. I have used each of them in the past. I will always use pellets from now on. I am setting up my Brooder on Sat and pellets will be going into it.

I use pine shavings in the coop.

3. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Thanks, I noticed Wilco and Coastal both use them and I thought I would try them for dust control. I paid 4.85 a bag is that about right?

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Yep, Battle Ground Wilco and Gresham Coastal use them. Those two places are where I get the majority of my chicks. I will be buying some chicks from them next Friday Yes $4.85 is a reasonible price. I got several bags of them on sale at Wilco recently for $4.00.

5. LizaBlue

LizaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    Wee Acres
    I actually just started using sand in my brooder for the first time yesterday, and I think I really like it. I have a hen in with the chicks, so she's making sure they're eating food and not just sand. It's real easy to sift out all the poo, although Momma hen does like to kick the sand all around into the waterer. Even so, it seems like they are doing quite well on it, and seeing a 2 day old chick take a dust bath just moments after getting introduced to sand is pretty amazing :)

My brooder has 2 areas, so they still have shavings in one side for a nest, but until it got cold last night, Momma kept them on the sand. The brooder is in our coop, and the temp gets into the 90's quite easily, which is one reason I wanted to try some sand: a little misting with some water with a few drops of Oxine to keep it sanitary, and the sand helps cool. I also think it might be good for their feet: I know most defects are congenital, but some can be caused by poor surfaces, and walking on sand definately strengthens humans, so maybe it will be good for chicks too. I'm still learning about chickens, and just learn by what seems to make them lively and grow strong and happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by