bedding - pine pellets, alfalfa, or other

Delphinium

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Northern AZ
Now that our coop is nearing completion, I'm wondering what to put on the floor. We have a wood floor (4'x5') with linoleum over it. My neighbor uses alfalfa in her coop... she said her dad (a farmer) recommends it because it gives the chickens extra nutrients. After doing a search on BYC, I read that several people think it is dangerous for chickens to eat.

I'm currently using pine pellets in the brooder. I like them, but wonder if they will be too "slippery" on linoleum.

What do you recommend?

We have glasboard down on part of our coop floor (under the roosts). It *is* very slippery with the pine pellets, but also with shavings, until it gets deep enough. We've seem some pretty funny crash landings.

I found that if I wet the pine pellets and get a 2-3" layer of sawdust going, it's fine (and the girls love love love to bathe in the sawdust). We've been experimenting, and so far, I like using a thin (single) layer of the pine pellets, with the light coating of pine shavings over the top. I have horses, so I always have both around anyway!

Hmmm... thanks for the replies. I never thought of using sand in the coop. We are planning to use sand in the run. I would think here in Northern AZ the sand would get so cold during the winter.

Has anyone used alfalfa?

Quote:
the only alfalfa I use is what I feed my goats! Its too expensive to waste on the floor! some people use straw, we have used straw, pine shavings, and sand. I think the pine shavings work pretty good, easier to clean up, the straw works, but you have to clean with a pitchfork!

Back
Top Bottom