bedding Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by awalters0815, Aug 16, 2010.

1. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    What is the best bedding to use in the coop and nests? I've been using hay but thought something else might be better. My coop has a dirt floor.

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

I've used everything at some point in time. Dried grass clippings, hay, straw, shavings, sand, pine straw, leaves, etc. The best I've found is pine shavings for both the coop and nest boxes. Less smell and no mold like hay. Do a search for the deep litter method on here, it works great with shavings.

3. blackbelt

blackbelt Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    bloomington springs tn
    I would use straw for the boxes, and shavings for the floor. In the winter if it's cold their, i would put at least a food or more on the floor, chicken do good in the cold if their feet are dry. The shavings keep them scratching. In the summer months dirt floor is good, just rake it out in the fall maybe spread some baking soda on the ground and scuff it into the ground then add shavings. Hope this helped.

4. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    Quote:Thanks. I think I will use the deep litter method as well. How thick should I spread the shavings to start with?

5. farmboydj

farmboydj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    puyallup wa
    i have used hay in the past and it was hard to keep clean now i only use cedar shavings (cedar is ok for adult birds not chicks ) i put it in the boxes and on the floor

6. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have heard that the best bedding is a thin layer of hay to absorb moisture and what not then put a layer of cedar on top so it will smell good and bugs don't like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by