Bedding question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by irmad, Oct 9, 2013.

1. irmad

irmad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    UK
    Has anyone ever tried using shop brought compost as a chicken coop bedding?
    would it be harmful to chickens?

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I'm a little confused why you would use that? Its basically one step away from dirt??

3. irmad

Jun 22, 2013
    UK
    i am currently using obious, which is shredded hemp... very good absorbtion level. im also doing the deep litter method to makemy own chicken manure compost. I wanted to add the compost to give it a bit of a lift to speed up the composting.... ;) just wondering if anyone else tried this. Dont want to do anything that could be hazardous to me birds.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Composting cannot be done INSIDE a coop, because it requires too much moisture.

Simply mixing in a few shovels of soil will add all the bacteria needed to start the process, and won't cost anything at all

5. irmad

Jun 22, 2013
    UK
    Will do that... thanks for your advice. I hope it still absorbs all the moisture from the bird droppings.
    Next year im going to build my coop on the soil and try the deep litter method again. I heard it works best on soil..

6. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: It's easiest on soil because you never have to completely clean it out.
    Actual "composting " still has to take place outside the coop due to the excess moisture required.

Compost has to be damp to "work" and litter has to be dry to work

7. irmad

Jun 22, 2013
    UK
    I have around 10 birds and they have plenty of smelly moisture in their droppings. I did originally add a bit of builders sand whith the shredded hemp. Its been about three months, I keep topping up with sredded hemp every month... its all composting really well.. winter is fast aprouching and its quite warm in my coop. I think its due to the compost. Do you think I shoud add de to my compost.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: There's no point in it unless you have insect problems
    It's really not that good for anything else

9. irmad

Jun 22, 2013
    UK
    Ok cool. Thank you very much for all your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by