bedding/ smell prevention

katie_

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2020
I am currently using straw in my pekin's run and pine shavings in the coop, I have 0 problems with the pine shavings they're easy to clean up and put down. The straw on the other hand is a pain. I have a feeling it might be the straw I am using because I bought some at TSC and it stayed pretty decent no mold or anything, made it a whole week with no need to clean. switched to a local farms straw it is molding in a few days and does not dry well, not to mention the smell. I have to put a layer around the pool almost everyday. It is crazy. I in the northeast and we are getting a particularly hot summer, every day in the 90s. I mist the ducks with the hose to cool them off, but the smell is absolutely awful. I am using the deep litter method in the run btw. What do you guys recommend for smell/easy clean up

This is what I do:

- Pine pellets in coop (they are so much dryer than shavings)

- Construction sand in my run and use an extended cat little scoop to sift out manure (The sand was super cheap I paid $35 for a whole truck load and the scoop I found on Amazon for $17)

-2-3 times per week I mix up a sifter jar with 1 part Sweet PDZ Stall Refesher and 1 part diatomaceous earth and sprinkle it in both the coop and run (Sweet PDZ eats up ammonia and diatomaceous earth keeps mites, lice and other parasites at bay plus both can be found at tractor supply)

-I put their food dishes on a very large baking tray that I hose off in the woods everyday (most people think it's just the poop that smells, but feed+mud+a hot day is really what makes things smell rancid)

Now everyone who visits comments on how my ducks are so clean and don't smell. My father-in-law parked his RV right next to the duck coup for over 2 months with 100 degree weather and he said that they smelled better than chickens (and he would know he grew up on a big farm). Hopefully this helps or at least gives you some ideas:)

Last edited:
2-3 times per week I mix up a sifter jar with 1 part Sweet PDZ Stall Refesher and 1 part diatomaceous earth and sprinkle it in both the coop and run (stalleez eats up amonia and diatomaceous earth keeps mites, lice and other parasites at bay plus both can be found at tractor supply)
PDZ is zeolite and will absorb ammonia even when wet.
Not sure about "stalleez"
DE don't do diddly, especially when wet.

PDZ is zeolite and will absorb ammonia even when wet.
Not sure about "stalleez"
DE don't do diddly, especially when wet.
I haven't had any issue with mites or lice and there is research out there that shows Diatomaceous earth does indeed help with both so I will continue to use it.

I haven't had any issue with mites or lice and there is research out there that shows Diatomaceous earth does indeed help with both so I will continue to use it.
Just because you use DE and haven't seen any mites or lice,
doesn't mean the DE is killing them....it means you've never had lice or mites.

I've read too many stories about serious infestations and the keepers say:
"But I used DE everywhere and all the time."

Just read one yesterday that told about copious amounts of roost mites living happily in a thick layer of DE in the bottom of a nesting box.

Just because you use DE and haven't seen any mites or lice,
doesn't mean the DE is killing them....it means you've never had lice or mites.

I've read too many stories about serious infestations and the keepers say:
"But I used DE everywhere and all the time."

Just read one yesterday that told about copious amounts of roost mites living happily in a thick layer of DE in the bottom of a nesting box.
Yeah and apple cider vinegar is the same way!

Back
Top Bottom