bedding success!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by irmad, Aug 24, 2013.

1. irmad

irmad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    UK
    After struggeling for almost 6 months getting thechicken bedding right..FINALLY.....SUCCESS!
    Just wanted to share some info with a new starter..

What worked for me was a bit of sand (builders sand) and mix it with shredded hemp, I use Aubious. Im going to do deep litter method... been a month and no poo smell at all!

I dont do no poo picking at all.....

2. chickenchick123

chickenchick123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    I've heard that Aubious is meant to be good. Is it very expensive or does it work out better in the long run if you're not changing it as often?

3. irmad

Jun 22, 2013
    UK
    It come in 20kg bail and its absalutely loads... I have a 6×8 coup and 1 bail lasts 6 month. After a year the coop bedding gets composted and goes straight into my garden...[​IMG]

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Every flock and coop has it own dynamics. There are as many cleaning regiments as there are chicken owners practically.

I bed my 4x8 coop with wood pellets that are super absorbent and change to sawdust when they swell up when in contact with moisture.
    I have anywhere between 10 and 15 birds in my coop.

I clean my poop boards every two to three days. My bedding and coop once a year in October when I harvest my garden.

My nest boxes I fold a feed bag and pop it in the bottom; When soiled a fold a new one and pop out the soiled and in with the new.

Easy Peasy!.

I move my coop and run every year around April and plant my vegetable garden there in the vacated spot in late May or June.

Works for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited by Hokum Coco - 8/16/13 at 12:37pm

5. irmad

Jun 22, 2013
    UK
    Mr Hokum, love ur setup and love your garden. I wish my garden was that huge.... I was going to use sawdust but it takes a long time to breakdown in the soil. Thats why obious which is made from chopped hemp really works well for me....

I wonder if it would be ok to mix a bag of compost to the bedding and turning it in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by