1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. 5138bug

5138bug Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    Southbury CT
    I have been reading a lot about using sand for bedding and on the drop boards.
    How much sand ?

2. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    I considered sand initially as well and also researched deep litter method. I decided (laziness) that I didn't really like the idea of having to use a scooper and clean the sand every day or so. While it sounds ok I also know that a year from now it might get old. My coop is 6'x8' and I put one bag of pine shaving from rural king down which gave me a couple inches of depth. Then raked up a large trash bag of dead grass/twigs/leaves from around my fence that had been there since last fall. The chicks loved scratching through it and I can honestly say after 3 weeks there is no foul smell in the coop. My plan is to add grass clippings, leaves, etc each week after I mow. Then in the fall and spring clean it out and spread it on my garden.

Sorry I didn't answer your sand question but I didn't know what other options you had researched.

3. 5138bug

5138bug Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    Southbury CT
    I'm also looking at deep litter not sure yet thanks for the in put.

4. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We use pine shavings in the coop. Deeper in the winter (maybe 6") than in summer. We have a poopboard filled with PDZ which I sift-out everyday so the floor stays much cleaner. We do a complete clean out twice a year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by