1. kansas_twister

kansas_twister Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    s.w. kansas
    we're rescuing over 20 chickens on thursday, i'm going to start to build the coop today, my questions is what kind of bedding can i use for the nest? i ive on a horse farm and have lots of pm6 grass, just wondering if i can use that our use straw?

2. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    I used hay but I will have to change that because they eat it. Straw is best and I want to get some of that but it is really expensive for me down here in arkansas. I just don't buy much of it for that reason. If you have access to it I would use the straw. Oh and by the way are you a Kansas person? I am moving back home to Kansas this fall. Hope to meet ya all some time.

Arklady

3. kansas_twister

kansas_twister Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    s.w. kansas
    i have axcess to straw and we will be growing pm6 grass for our horses that's why i thought it owuld be good for bedding.

i guess i am, been living in kansas ofor almost 2 years now...i'm in sw. kansas what aprt are you moving to?

4. way2cross

way2cross Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    South Georgia, USA
    Would pine straw be included in straw? Or are you speaking of more like hay??[​IMG]

5. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Pine shavings work best for nesting. Straw is hollow and provides a place for lice and mites to live and grow. If hay gets damp it can become moldy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by