Bedding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CountryCentinel, Oct 18, 2011.

1. CountryCentinel

CountryCentinel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    Just read an article that said saw dust is not a good choice for bedding for chicks, it is too fine and they might eat it instead of their food.

As it happens that was my plan, so, I don't have crushed cob, of wood shavings, what is a good bedding in this instance?

Is straw okay for the little things?

Thx...

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'd recommend hay to be used as their bedding.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You can use straw. Pine shavings are probably the best thing you can get though for chicks. That's what I always use, plus, you just fluff it up, and it will last a good while.

Straw will be fine though, if that's all you have. [​IMG]

4. CountryCentinel

CountryCentinel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    We want our girls happy, we'll get the pine shavings... ;-)

5. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I got pine shavings but put paper towels on top of the shavings for the first day or two to make sure they knew where the food was and were not mistaking the shavings for food. It worked out fine. They''ve been on shavings since.

6. dgilm

dgilm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    So... I've been using shavings... and love them, except they seem to fill their waterers and feeders with them. Some days more than others. First I thought maybe raising them up would help, and it does, but they STILL get them full of shavings. It's just crazy!

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I have seen it countless times posted on here that other members get truck bed loads of saw dust to the top of the rails on their pickup truck. If I was not disabled I would too. I get the compressed bag that opens up to 9 cu yards. It comes in a small bag and opens up to a hug amount of shavings. 3" to 4" deep and pick at the poop for 3 to 5 weeks and add some and then in 2 weeks after picking and cleaning add another inch or two. I have been doing the deep litter method and it could go longer than a year at this rate. It is EASY!! Chickens live in dirt and dust and poop and running through yogurt and all the stuff they do the dust from saw dust can not do damage from what I have read here on the BYC.

Go to the search section on the right top corner of every page and type "SAW DUST" and see how many posts from members who use saw dust for bedding.

Good luck and welcome to the BYC [​IMG]

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Shavings are ok, if they are the HUGE flakes, not the powdery stuff.

But.... Love yellow straw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Quote:Yep, been there done that. I switched to watering nipples and my 3 week old chicks caught on without any problem in about 10 seconds. I hung a half gallon jug with two nipples in it. Now they're a little older, I have three jugs with 5 nipples and need to refill the water only once a week (for now).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by