Bedford County, VA

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by reidbg, Feb 26, 2012.

1. reidbg

reidbg New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    I live in a subdivision in Bedford County, VA and I'm having the hardest time finding out if I can have chickens in my backyard. I've seen some around, but none on my street. I tried reading everything I could online and sending e-mails, but no one has responded as of yet. (The county seat is long distance from my place of work so there's no calling during work hours.) Anyone out there know about the poultry ordinance?

2. reidbg

reidbg New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    In case you are Bedford County, VA resident you should know that chickens are only allowed in an Agricultural zone. If you are zoned residential then you aren't allowed chickens.

3. cows7chickens

cows7chickens New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    Hang in there, the law is about to change we hope and if you live in bedford county anywhere you will be allowed to keep up to 18 chickens. No roosters allowed. You will need a free permit and follow coop size ,etc, etc. Fresh eggs. Bedford supervisors still have to pass this though.

4. SUS13bedford

SUS13bedford New Egg

Feb 27, 2013
    I am a resident of Bedford Co. and did not "know" of the issue regarding chickens - not being a farmer or someone who is in the "know" of such issues. Those who claim to be in the know should not assume that everyone else is too!! When I purchased my home, I was not given a list of the rules and regulations that apply to my neighborhood. I am one who would like to see the information for myself - in writing. This information should be readily available to residences, preferably online. Does it vary by subdivisions?

What about gardens? Do gardens depend on whether the area is zoned agricultural or not? I assume flower gardens are okay. What about vegetable gardens for the feeding of one's family? Our back yard is shaded. The plan is to put a raised-bed garden in the front yard. I have seen very large, attractive raised-bed non-vegetable gardens in front yards. I would like to do an attractive raised-bed non-flower garden.

If anyone knows where I can find the answers to these questions, please let me know. I am ready to put down the weed barrier, purchase the cedar, build the beds and start growing my food. Thanks for your help!!

We'll talk about the veggie stand later. Just kidding...

5. nuzzymom1

nuzzymom1 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2013
    Gretna, VA
  6. walkeasy

walkeasy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    That is amazing! I'm not in Bedford but I applaud them. 18 is a bit much though, I would expect something like 8.

Now to make that happen in Warren County VA.

7. nuzzymom1

May 6, 2013
    Gretna, VA
    Ok, I know I'm posting a lot here, but here it is. I just got off the phone with the zoning department of Bedford County VA. You must look on a zoning map to see how your property is zoned. For example, I live at an address that is zoned as agricultural preserve. The local law and ordinance is, for my area, there is no limit on the number or type of animal (ie: poultry) a person is allowed to have. I can have as many chickens (hens & roosters) as I want so long as I have adequate space. If you have questions, you can call Bedford County Department of Planning
    122 E. Main Street
    Suite G-03
    Bedford, VA 24523
    540/586-7616

8. cows7chickens

cows7chickens New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    This is a reply to easywalk and comment of 18 chickens being a bit much. As soon as the law changed to allow chickens in bedford city [ town ] and subdivisions in bedford county I applied for the free permit and went to southern states and got 8 chicks, this was on mar 1st. This should give me maybe 8 eggs a day or 4 1/2 dozen a week, we [ only my wife and I ] buy 4 dozen a week. Ok Now I figure if we had some children at home I would probably need up to 18 chickens, so this sounds to me like a fair number. Our chickens have just started to lay we are now getting 2 eggs a day, Hope Warren county will let you have chickens

9. choptank330

choptank330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Is there a map or something that will tell if you are zoned agricultural

10. nuzzymom1

May 6, 2013
    Gretna, VA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by