beding for chicken house

daveyblevins

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 27, 2013
chilhowie va
Is it good to put wood shavings in my chicken house because i have one that gets wet when it rains so i put wood shavings in it to keep it dry and i was just wanting to know what to put in my chicken houses.

check out the coops threads. there is tons of advice on this in those. I personally use pine not cedar shavings.

Greetings from Kansas, daveyblevins, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here! Yes, in the brooder pine shavings are pretty common. TO me that gets a little spendy when it comes to the whole coop and my mature birds. I use prairie hay or wheat straw. Good luck to you!

thanks and i use pin shavings and sometimes just differnt typs of shavings but i use sawdust when i dont want to spend any money on shavings

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Sawdust is not great for bedding, as it is too dusty, and usually has not been dried like shavings are. It would probably be best to fix your leaky coop, it will save you a lot in the long run as wet bedding should be replaced immediately.

Wood chips, straw, pelleted pine, ground corn cobs - all have advantages and disadvantages. Use what is most available and most reasonable in price.

Back
Top Bottom