Bedtime Bully

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheSpiceGirls, Sep 26, 2012.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Looking to see if anyone has any advice on how to deal with a chicken who is a bully at bedtime.

Everyone gets along fine during the day. It's at bedtime that the beak comes out. The hen is question always goes to bed first.
    The 4 sleep in a 3' by 4' coop that has two side by side roosts. The bully selects a spot on the roost and won't let anyone else roost on that roost w/ her.

So if one of the other hens goes even to the opposite side of the roost, she'll walk over and peck at them tell they step off. She doesn't really peck at the face and it's not vicious. She's more going for the neck and not pulling feathers. But it causes drama because the others don't like it. (Can't blame them.) They step down, sometimes come out of the house and go back in and this goes on and on until the bully finally gets a roost to herself and the three others all roost up together.

I can't justify putting a peeper on her just for this 5-10 minutes of drama. I've tried spraying her with water. But they ALL hate the water bottle and when they see it they ALL freak. So it's tough to direct it just at her. I suppose one solution would be to make a little roost just for her but since she goes to bed first, I don't think she'll use it. I think she'll get up on the bigger one and the drama will continue.

Any suggestions? I'm ready to shove a Prozac down her throat at bedtime to get her to chill I'm so sick of this drama.

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Yeah, it can be tough...i have a BR that is very mean to my RIRs. she will come up to them any time of the day and peck them and pull off feathers. I usaully let it play out though since no one has gotten hurt. Thats how it is....the top chicken will let the others know who's boss.

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Yea, she won't peck at the top hen, a Jersey Giant who's twice her size. But the JG doesn't want to sleep next to her. She will if she has to. She likes to cuddle up next to my fluffy BO's.

And she's not drawing blood or pulling feathers. I thought I might try to make some sort of divider with cardboard and see if she'll go hide in her own special spot and if she can't see who else is next to her on the roost, then maybe it will be okay.

I'll have to mess around w/ this some more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by