Bee Keepers

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chicken stalker, Jan 11, 2010.

1. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    I want to start keeping bees and I was wonding if this was a good deal. I already emailed the person and bees are not included. She stated a bear cleaned them out. They are going to email me better pics tomorrow. Is this a good investment or should I start from new in case of disease or something.
    http://binghamton.craigslist.org/grd/1548010086.html

2. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Those are langstoth hives. I would wonder if there are frames in them and what damage the bear did. Did her hives have disease and did she use chemicals on the hives? You might have more clean up and rehab to do then you are able to do, especially is you are going to rais your bees as naturally as possible. Are you a handy person? You could build a topbar hive for almost nothing and spend your money buying a new smoker and suit and a nuc of bees. So, to answer your question as to whether or not this is a good deal, well, it probably is to her for what she has invested. Langstroth hives are pricey to buy, not because they are better but because they are bought though catalogues. My suggestion would be to learn about topbar, Warre and Langstroth hives. Think about how much money you have to spend and where you are going to invest it.

3. minnesota birds

minnesota birds Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    If you are completly new to anything bees, find a beekeeper and visit with them. Most will share infomation and art least show you what the equipment looks like, and also about tipical problems. basicly what to expect. good luck, bees are an education and worthwhile.
    minnesota birds

4. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH......And if I was you start with all new equipment. Start off with two hives so that way you can compare one hive to the other...and also if need be combine the hives to make one strong hive if the other fails. But RESEARCH is key. Beekeeping can be an easy and really fun hobby if you know what your doing.
    [​IMG]

5. k_long

k_long Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Point Harbor N.C.
    not trying to steal the thread, but I am also interested in getting some bees, but don't know where to begin. I 've looked online and found a lot, but nothing like BYC for bees. Anybody know a good source of info Thnks

6. minnesota birds

minnesota birds Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    BOOKS AND THE INTERNET ARE WONDERFUL but IF YOU get bees and the equipment and have never handled bees you will find out how little you know. talk to a bee keeper and follow them around as they work with the bees. you will learn and gain confidence. just to see the way experence helps, not knowing if you are helping or doing damage is worth it
    minnesota birds

7. hens & chicks

hens & chicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Hudson Indiana
    I will throw in my 2 cents worth. Can you easily go to this place and look over the equipment? I would if at all possible. If the boxes do not have any dry rot in the wood and serious damage then yes it is a good deal. You will pay that much just to get everything for 1 complete hive. Also you will pay close to the 100.00 amount just to get your clothes covers. If the clothes fit you and are in good to great shape then yes. Now that being said. If you get the hives now the "messes" can be cleaned up and cleaned out during the still cold months. As well as any outside painting on them. Hives do not need to be painted. Or pained in only white. Can be painted and colored flowers painted on.

Any of the Bee supply houses have an ask and answer and "contact us" section as well as a phone number. Use those resources. There will be sooo much help. Also they are glad to send the catalogs to you. Visit the local library. Invaluabe tools in books. Just a word though-the book A to Z and XYZ of beekeeping is a little on the technical side. There are others that are better for the beginner. Although the book is written and updated by one of the men most instrumental in the proliferation and care of bees.

Go look at this if you can and assess just what you would be getting. Also many people do come down in prices. If it was closer to me I would snap it up in a heart beat. To me and my research on this it is well worth the price.
    Then-contact the local 4-H office and get the name and address of the supervisor for the 4-H bee program. Probably a beekeeper. See if there are monthly meetings to go to for beekeepers. Someone there will take you under wing and will guide you and assist you. You will need to learn how to get the hives ready and set up to then purchase a queen and her workers and how to go about introducing them into their new home. Good luck!!

8. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
  9. chickenchalupa

chickenchalupa Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin
    If you want to save money, a top bar hive is the way to go! I built mine for less than $50. Search around online for a design that fits your carpentry skill level. Here's a helpful site: http://backyardhive.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by