Bee Keeping

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sweetshoplady, May 3, 2009.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    The man who kept his bees at my place sold them and they just left. I liked having them here. And I planted trees for them to polinate.

Is it hard to keep bees?

Do I have to have lots and lots of hives?

Is it expensive to do it?

Are the suits expensive? (I wouldn't want todo it without)

Do I need to find someone to teach me?

2. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    It isn't hard to keep bees but please be sure to RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH...beekeeping is the kind of hobby right now that can't be afforded to just jump into. The bees are too important. I would say the best number of hives to start up with would be 2. And you can choose the style based on your needs. I would get some books and checkout the forum in the link below. Depending on the hive you choose will make your expenses more or less. And really the only cost in bees is the startup cost...after that they pretty much take care of themselves. I only wear a veil so I can't tell you about prices for suits....but I do also use a smoker. And finding a local mentor really can't be beat...I did and I'm sooo happy I did!

Anymore questions feel free to ask.

http://www.biobees.com/forum/index.php

[​IMG]

3. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Quote:No, it isn't hard, but it takes some research.

Do I have to have lots and lots of hives?

No, you can start out with one, but two is better.

Is it expensive to do it?

There is an initial investment of about $300 to get equipped, including basic protective gear (veil and gloves).

Are the suits expensive? (I wouldn't want todo it without)

All depends. You can use just a hat and veil (as mentioned above) or go all out for a Golden Bee Suit at about $200.

Do I need to find someone to teach me?

It is always best to have a mentor, the best way to find one is to join a local bee club, you can find one here.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by