Bee Keeping...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SamG347, Apr 6, 2008.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    This has always been something that has interested me. Does anyone have any good books...suppliers...and tips for keeping bees? Or plans to build a hive?
    Thanks yall!
    [​IMG]

2. NiftyChick

NiftyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    California
    Sam, we don't have bees yet, but I was interested in your post because I think I'd like to keep them someday.

Try a forum search for "bees" and you'll pull up a number of threads with some good info. There are quite a few beekeepers on here I think.

Let us know how things go!

-NiftyChick

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Hey, Sam. I'll PM you with some info that another member sent me on buying equipment and bees. Give me a bit to find it.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Miss Prissy could you please PM that info to me also? I've been researching bees myself and I have friends that are wanting to start with bees this year.

Thanks.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    done [​IMG]

6. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Thanks all! And a special thanks to you Miss!!! I will have to check out a supplier. But I think I might try my hand at making the Bee-Hive instead of buying it.
    [​IMG]

7. Got Chickens?

Got Chickens? New Egg

Sep 22, 2007
    Hi, I'm getting bees in 20 days! I just wanted to suggest to you, and everyone else, to make a Top Bar Hive (TBH). They are so easy and simple to make, and you don't need extractors, frames, foundation or any of that expensive stuff. Check out www.biobees.com, they have a really nice forum thats dedicated to the TBH.
    Have a great day!
    Beesilly

8. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Got chickens that looks like an awesome idea! Do you have an pictures of the hive(s) you built? Are they suppose to be just as good as a regular bee-hive?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by